Thursday, June 14, 2007

Let's be honest...

A couple of nights ago I went out to dinner with my sister-in-law and father-in-law. As we sat at the booth waiting for our food, Maggie was pointing out various things to us: window, tree, shoes, light, etc. She's at a point where she likes affirmation that yes I am listening to her and yes I see what she does... it goes like this:

"Tree! Tree, mom! TREE!"
"Yes, Maggie I see the tree."
"Tree! Tree! Tree!"
"Yes, that's a tree."

Well, after pointing out several things, she started yelling, "Walrus! Walrus, mom! WALRUS! WALRUS!" I could not find the walrus anywhere, but to try and quiet her I just said, "yes, walrus". She wasn't satisfied. Then she begain pointing to a man a couple tables over from us. I turned to see a bald, portly man with a very bushy mustache. I quickly turned back around and tried to get Maggie's attention turned to something else, while my sis-in-law and dad-in-law laughed under their breath. In hindsight, it was pretty funny, but at the time I was of course mortified. I tried to keep her mouth full of food the rest of the time we were there, and I am hoping that either the man at that table had a very good sense of humor, or that he's very deaf.

4 comments:

be said...

I think you'd be safe with blind, too.

kelly said...

i'm so glad to hear that my little one isn't the only one saying things that embarass the adults. btw... gavin still can not say FROG correctly, so it sounds like my kid has a total potty mouth. especially seeing as his favorite word is frog.

Brittany said...

Same with Alexander and "flag." No big embarrassing moments have happened with us yet, but I'm sure they're about to come rolling in at any moment.

Bringhursts said...

Kat-I love the Quinns! Only something like that would happen to you.

Kelly, I don't know who you are but just don't teach him the word "Bridge". Then it's all but over.